Before doing any type of upgrade:
- From versions 6/7/8 only: Note that the licensing model for Nectari has changed with version 9. You must contact your Account Manager to verify the compatibility and have your license transformed to the new model. Then you will need to release your license Installing The Nectari License Server database
- Ensure there is a backup of the Central Point: The Nectari database AND the Central Point shared folder.
- Make sure .Net Framework 4.8 is installed and more specifically if you are upgrading from 8.2.7.X or earlier version. .Net Framework 4.8 is required to install Nectari- Server.exe and Nectari Excel Add-in WIN**.exe. For the installation of the packages, it is mandatory to restart your server/workstation.
An improvement concerning security connection has been done: if you installed the server with secure option, the BI Service will now communicate with TLS 1.2 instead of TLS 1.0.
The following instructions will guide the Nectari administrator through the upgrade to version 2021 R2. These steps are minimal, and Planning and Client Infrastructure Assessment chapter provides more details on how to complete them.
For an upgrade to 2021 R2.X and up, you need at least 8.2. If your version is prior to 8.2, you will need to do an intermediary upgrade to V9 or 2021 R1.1, and then upgrade to 2021 R2.
For an upgrade from version 8.X/9.X to 9.X and up, the following steps are mandatory:
- Test on a separate environment (Optional but highly recommended, Testing)
- Uninstall Nectari (Uninstalling the Previous Version)
- Install Nectari (Upgrading Nectari)
- Upgrade the Add-in (Upgrading the Excel Add-in)
- Uninstall the Web Central Point Configurator (Uninstalling the Web Central Point Configurator)
- Install the Web Central Point Configurator (Optional but recommended, Installing the Web Central Point Configurator)
For an upgrade from any version between 6.3.2 and 7.2.1.x to 9.X/2021 R1, carefully follow all the steps in this chapter.
For a new installation, go directly to Planning and Client Infrastructure Assessment.
In every instance never uninstall the database packages. They contain important data: NectariCentral Point for SQL Server and Oracle.exe, NectariLicense Server.exe and NectariOLAP for SQL Server.exe.
When the production server of Nectari cannot be restarted (e.g. is shared with an ERP), it should be possible to avoid the restart. But it is recommended to allow Windows clean its dependencies through a reboot. Therefore, it is recommended to plan the upgrade at a moment when the server can be restarted.